In case of an accident later, you need to be prepared now. Following are some general “DOs” & “DON’Ts” guidelines.
- Stop, turn the ignition off.
- If there are any serious injuries, call 911.
- Turn your emergency flashers on.
- Exchange names, addresses, phone numbers with other driver(s).
- Exchange insurance information with other driver(s).
- Take photos of the entire scene, damaged vehicles and property.
- Obtain witness names, addresses and phone numbers.
- Fill out the Accident Reporting Form as soon as possible.
- File an official accident report with the police.
- Notify your insurance company immediately.
- Move injured unless absolutely necessary.
- Discuss fault, responsibility, circumstances of the accident with other driver(s).
- Drive your vehicle if it seems unsafe.
- Sign any releases with towing companies, repair shops or insurance companies that you have not read and fully understand.